1. What's your name and Insta handle?
Kyle McIntosh @diesel_illusions
2. What's your age?
3. Where do you call home?
Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada
4. Any Animals or siblings?
Yes, 2 sisters
5. What do you do for work?
Full time I drive long haul truck all over North America. On the side, I do nature and product photography, magic, and card designing.
6. What's your favorite word you use?
7. Any hobbies outside of cards?
I play guitar, design cards, photography, sleep, enjoy family time and watching classic movies with my wife.
8. What’s your favorite card game?
9. Cardistry, Magic or Collector?
Magic first then cardistry. Don’t really collect anymore but rather stockpile decks I’ll use.
10. How long have you been in the community doing the above?
Started magic at age 8 and started cardistry last year.
11. What do you like most about the community?
Diversity. With so many different deck designs out there, everyone can enjoy their personal preferences. Also I’ve witnessed some amazing examples of community coming together to help others in need.
12. What inspires you the most about the community?
When I see people overcoming “handicaps” ,for lack of a better word, to perform cardistry and magic I find it awesome. Because it brings perspective when I get frustrated trying to nail a move or sleight.
13. Name three instagram profiles you think we should follow.
Just 3? Oh crap.
14. What is your favorite deck to use?
Black Cherry Casino
15. You can only have 1 deck for the rest of your life, what do you choose?
16. What makes you want to purchase a deck?
There’s a few factors. Needs to be functional in magic so needs easy to recognize courts and spot cards. Back design needs to be attractive but not overly ornate. Should come with at least one gaff card. And of course price needs to be reasonable.
17. What's the most you'd spend on a deck?
18. Open it or keep it sealed?
My motto is USE YOUR CARDS. If you aren’t gonna open it, then sell it.
19. What female cardist/magician inspires you the most? Why?
I know of a number of very skilled and talented female cardists and magicians. I couldn’t really single out just one. Just like I couldn’t really single out one male cardist or magician that inspires me most. We have a community filled with so many amazing people. I draw inspiration from the whole community.
20. What types of decks do you like most? Why?
I’ll always love casino style decks. Must be the old school in me but that simple yet classy style is just awesome.
21. What brand of cards are your favorite? Why?
If we’re talking of all time I’d have to say Tally Ho. Superb handling for magic and cardistry. A few modern brands I enjoy are OPC, Cherry Casino, Docs.
22. Cartamundi or USPCC or other? Why?
Tough one. I loved the original B9 stock Cartamundi put out but not crazy about the slimline. I lean towards USPCC the most. Having used Rider Backs, Tally Ho, Bee, and Hoyle Shell Backs for so many years the stock just feels right in my hands. I’m looking forward to seeing if Cartamundi can bring some improvement to the quality control at USPCC.
23. How do you feel about exclusive decks or Hype Decks?
There’s many “hype” or “exclusive” decks I like. What bothers me is when the release price of an extremely basic deck is so brutally overpriced. If these companies want to truly see their cards in as many people’s hands as possible instead of on eBay then the answer is easy. Make them more accessible.
24. What do you want to see more of in the card community?
25. What upcoming deck release are you excited about? Why?
Another tough one. There’s decks I can’t mention that are coming that are amazing. But one I can safely say I’m excited about is the new ARW series by Luke Wadey. Having had the privilege to have seen Luke’s design ideas, I’m super excited for what’s coming. Also watch for some incredible decks this year from Docs Playing Cards.
26. Name three decks on your wish list?
V1 Aqua Cherry Casino
Ultra Gaff Deck
27. Tell a funny joke you actually know, no looking jokes up.
Q. How can you tell if a ticket to the Stanley Cup finals is counterfeit?
A. It has the words “Toronto Maple Leafs” on it.
28. If you could have 1 super power what would it be and why?
None. Superpowers all have something that renders them powerless. I’d rather be a badass like Batman.
29. Tell me 3 people dead or alive you would like to have dinner with?
Dai Vernon, Luke Wadey, Stu McCann
Create 3 questions you want to ask yourself and answer them below (can be anything you want to add etc.)
30. Do you have any plans to release a new deck in 2020?
I’m working on 2 decks I hope to put out this year. Vortico is the first to drop this year and can be seen on my instagram.
31. If you could only perform one trick, what would it be?
32. What’s your honest opinion of NOCs?
Well, in my opinion......did you see the size of that squirrel?